Casino di Venezia: centuries-old traditions and modern trends
In 2018, the “Casino of Venice” was exactly 380 years old. It is necessary to celebrate the round date with a reservation, because formally Casino di Venezia opened only in 1959. But it was it that became the heir to the traditions of Ridotto, the very first and oldest gambling establishment in Europe. One more reservation has to be made whenever there is a temptation to call Casino di Venezia the oldest land-based casino in the world, for the reason that this gambling house is actually located not on land, but on water. The doors of the oldest gambling establishment Ridotto opened to visitors in 1638. Now the Renaissance palazzo, in which the achievements of the Renaissance are closely intertwined with high technology, continues to receive guests and invites them to plunge into the atmosphere of entertainment in the best traditions of the past and the present. History of Casino di Venezia Construction of the building began in 1481 by order of the Italian nobleman Andrea Loredano. The project was developed by Mauro Coducci, the architect who created the Clock Tower of St. Mark. The case of Coducci after his death was continued by Bottega dei Lombardo. He completed the construction of the Palazzo Loredan in 1509. In 1589, the building, which combined the classical style with the Gothic, was bought by Vittore Calergi. In 1739, the palace was renamed Ka Vendramin Kalergi in his honor. Palazzo Loredano served as a home for royalty and nobility. In the 16th century, the palace became part of the Church of St. Moses and the theater of the same name. In 1638, the first gambling house “Ridotto” was opened in the lobby of the building, which only representatives of the aristocracy could enter. In 1774, the Ridotto gambling establishment was closed at the request of the patrician Giorgio Pisani. The palace of Ka Vendramin Kalergi, which remained in the hands of the Vendramin family for more than 100 years, passes to the Duchess of Berry in the middle of the 18th century. In 1858, the German composer Richard Wagner arrived at Palazzo Loredano and remained in Venice until his death in 1883. In 1946, the municipality bought the Mauro Coducci project. In 1959, Casino di Venezia was opened on the first floor of the Ca Vendramin Calergi Palace, where the Ridotto gambling house used to be located. Casino of Venice: modernity The gambling house “Casino of Venice” is located on the banks of the Grand Canal. A complimentary water taxi delivers guests to the French-style doors. You can also get to the Casino di Venezia by gondola. At the entrance to the establishment, casino employees will definitely pay attention to the appearance and age of the players. The usual entrance to the “Casino of Venice” costs 5 euros. For 10 euros, the visitor will receive a ticket, which is exchanged at the box office for a game chip. On the territory of the Ca Vendramin Calergi Palace, in addition to the casino, there is a classic Italian restaurant The Wagner and the Richard Wagner Museum, opened in 1995. In the gambling establishment Casino di Venezia, the visitor can try his luck at French and American roulette, classic baccarat and its variety Chemin de fer, Texas hold’em and Caribbean poker, blackjack. The casino also has slot machines. Popular slots include Texas Holdem Poker, Top Gun and Monopoly Grand Hotel. The gaming house also has state-of-the-art video slots with touch screens and electronic control, an automated electronic roulette and a Wheel of Fortune machine. The Casino of Venice regularly hosts card tournaments. One of the largest events was the WPT organized by Gioco Digitale. The Ca Vendramin Kalergi Palace is also used during the Venice Film Festival and for the filming of Hollywood films and series. It can be seen in the Bond movie “Casino Royale” with Daniel Craig, in the film “The Tourist” with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie and in many other films. Eminent directors are captivated by antique mirrors and crystal chandeliers, vintage handrails for stairs and exquisite works by Palma il Giovano and Mattia Bortoloni that adorn the ancient halls. Interesting facts The Casino di Venezia complex consists of two buildings: Ca Vendramin Calergi is located in the historical part of Venice, and Ca Noghera is near the Marco Polo airport. Ca’ Noghera Casino opened in the late 1990s and was the first establishment in Italy to offer American-style gambling. The dealers at the Casino of Venice spend all games in classic tuxedos. Guests of the gambling establishment must also follow the rules of etiquette. Men cannot get into the casino without a jacket, and women cannot enter the casino in jeans and a T-shirt. The Casino di Venezia has over 600 slot machines. The total jackpot of the gaming complex exceeds 3 million euros. The casinos use chips with denominations of 5, 10, 20 and 50 euros, but gambling gamblers can buy chips with a denomination of 10 thousand and 20 thousand euros at the cash desk.